Saturday, October 08, 2011

celebrate the day

I was recently invited to a dinner party hosted by a very special friend of mine.  She served wine, champagne and the most amazing meal offered course-by-course and served by her.  We had beautiful silky napkins, china dinnerware, classical music and candlelight.  We ate slowly and enjoyed the conversation.  I admit that while I was there, I thought to myself that I need to seriously step up my game when it comes to dinner parties, but since then I’ve been thinking about the every-day meals that I serve.  Like most young families, we rush around heading from work and school to sports and homework, the tv is on and we’re trying to cram down some food that I’ve quickly prepared before we’re off to the next event.  I have decided to challenge myself to celebrate the day whenever possible.  I am going to use those beautiful dishes even on a weeknight (not that the current saucepan on the centre of the table isn’t a fabulous showpiece), turn off the tv, slow down and enjoy the conversation with those that I love.  I’m worth it and so is my family.

No comments: