Sunday, August 21, 2011

do what you love

I wish I could tell you a wonderful story about how I first became interested in feng shui.  The truth is, I’ve been interested in the topic for at least twenty years and I have no idea what first piqued my interest.  In the beginning, I started picking up books and articles on feng shui and slowly began to build my knowledge on the topic.  My friends, family and colleagues started asking me random questions, requesting paint colour recommendations for their homes and advice for redecorating.  Eventually, I was asked how much I would charge to present my knowledge to a group of friends at a fun evening.  What?!?!?  I was so surprised (yet secretly thrilled) that someone would even consider paying me for what I thought was just a fun way to spend my time and decorate my own home.  I immediately told my husband who looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and said, “Well … why aren’t you charging for it?”
I decided that maybe he was right, but I was not willing to charge people for consultations without formal training.  I researched a number of schools and eventually enrolled in a certification course with Leigh and Paul Kubin through the Feng Shui Training Centre in Texas.  Despite all of the knowledge that I already had, I was amazed at how much more there was to learn and I realized that despite the hundreds and hundreds of hours that I was spending on this course in my spare time, I was energized and excited by what I was learning.  This seemingly simple revelation, begs the question, “Why doesn’t everyone do what they love?”

No comments: