Monday, August 22, 2011

that's feng shui


Recently I was visited by someone whom had never been to my home before;  she knew very little about me, only that I was a feng shui consultant.  Within a short time, she admitted that she was very surprised to see that the décor of my home was not “feng shui”.  In her experience, a home designed by a feng shui consultant would have Buddhas, waiving red cats, Chinese symbols and three legged toads … everywhere.  While we can certainly see those items becoming popular in the design world, if they do not represent your personal style, you do not need to use them. 
In actuality, our home is carefully designed so that my family and I have a comfortable space that can assist us in reaching our goals.  It is reflective of our own personal style and I have used my knowledge of feng shui in order to pull it all together.  I do admit that I have a gong in my dining room that I absolutely love, but every corner is not filled with I-Ching coins, bamboo flutes and firecrackers.  When you enter it, it feels welcoming and comfortable and to me, that’s feng shui. 

3 comments:

PenCoop said...

I have a "noisy" office space. It is in the relationship quadrant of the house and the metal filing cabinet seems cold. I would like a "warmer" way to control the clutter of files and papers. Any suggestions?

Sandra Priestley said...

“Warm” is definitely preferable to noisy, cold and cluttered in the Intimate Relationships gua of your space and when it comes to filing cabinets, they can often seem quite cold. In feng shui, clutter results in stuck energy so reducing the clutter even before it gets to the filing cabinet is paramount. Investing in some filing trays in warm tones (try to avoid more metal here) will help to organize your desk and keep the clutter at bay. If you are looking to purchase new office furniture, there are some fantastic cabinets in warmer colours now or desks with filing drawers that are built in.

Paint is another inexpensive way to warm up the entire room. It is amazing how a new paint colour can completely change the feel of a room. The colour for this area of your home is pink, but any earth colour (yellow, gold brown or any muddy colours) will work as well. Avoid peach.

If you intend to redesign your space with existing furniture, then try to minimize how much you notice the cabinet as much as possible. Consider placing a trailing plant in a terra cotta pot on top of the cabinet or adding other large, heavy or solid items in this room that have a warm and comfortable feeling. In the intimate relationships area, you want to focus on items in pairs or items/pictures that remind you of the type of relationship you wish to have.

Anonymous said...

I think that education about Feng Shui really helps people understand what you are all about. I admit to having a few Asian symbols in my home too though.