Saturday, September 17, 2011

one unique item


A few months ago I was completing a feng shui consultation for a really interesting couple.  Their home was filled with wonderful items, each carefully chosen, and they had a very distinct style of designing their home.  Near the end of the consultation, I walked into another room to find an odd object, suspended by a string which was very different than the rest of their home and I had to ask, “What IS that?!”  Both clients laughed and said that they had received this object as a gift (it turned out to be a clay mosquito) and were told that every home should have one “unique” item in it, but they had no idea where to put it.  My recommendation for this couple was to place it in the creativity area of their home which would be a reminder to have fun, be creative and step outside their comfort zone every once in a while.

Since that day, I have often thought about that mosquito and have seen a number of interior designers recently endorsing this same philosophy (designer Jeffrey Alan Marks placed a canoe on a ceiling in one home) and I realized that I too, have a “unique” item in my home.  I received a gift from my aunt, a piece of pottery that neither she, nor I, nor any of our guests have been able to figure out what it is and I love it.  Every time I use it – it’s multi-purpose if you have no clue what it is, after all – I am challenged once again to figure out what it is really meant for.  If nothing else, it’s a definite conversation piece!  What is unique about your home?

Note:  permission was granted from my clients to share their mosquito story with you.

No comments: