Monday, March 25, 2013

treasured



My grandmother passed away in January at the age of 94.  She was an an amazing woman;  always calm, always supportive and always happy to see me.  She was a constant in my life and I miss her every day.

She and I shared a love of cooking, as well as a great meal in a nice restaurant.  It was because of her appreciation for good food that I loved to cook for her.  From as young as I can remember, I would decorate the table with china and specially folded napkins for her.  She was always so considerate to notice my efforts and compliment me on them.  I swear that even if the food was burnt, she would tell me that it was fantastic. 

Every time we had supper together, she would wear a particular black diamond ring. Every single time she wore it, I noticed how beautiful it was, how it rested on her finger and how it was her to me.  I have now been handed down that ring.  I have no idea what that ring is worth and quite honestly, it doesn't matter to me in the least and it never did.  What matters to me, is that every time I look down at my hand, I will remember her, our many meals together, the laughs we shared and how unbelievably special she was to me.  This ring means the world to me and somehow, I feel her very essence is in that ring.  I will treasure it every day.  Do you have an item from the past that is as special to you and if so, how do you treasure it?



No comments: